From:
Robbin Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 08:02:00 -0500
On February 4 Robert Guralnick wrote:

>The world does not need any more sloppy, unorganized,
>cluttered gophers.  The world needs lots more
>well organized and well maintained, specific, topical and useful
>gophers.

But one person's clutter is another person's goldmine and
innovation isn't always neat. But, on the whole, I agree.

>The answer is organization; the packaging of information.
>Whether a museum curator or contributor to museum-l, it is the PACKAGING
>that determines the impact of information.

That's why I think exhibition and museum design should consider
electronic resources from the planning stages, not as an add-on (in
the same way that curators should consider funding at the planning
stage of an exhibition). All departments that deal with electronic
text and images should be involved: exhibit designers, publications,
registrars and publications. I'm taking a class in exhibition
design from Ralph Appelbaum (who did the Holocaust Memorial and, it
seems, everything else these days) and I hope to have solved all
these problems by the end of the semester. :-}

Robbin Murphy