From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:53:49 -0400
Are you counting museums housed in buildings related to their mission?
Railroad museums in old railroad stations or roundhouses, for example.
There are hundreds of those. Also industrial museums like the
Baltimore Museum of Industry are in old factories, in this case an old
Oyster Cannery. There are also lots of science centers and children's
museums in small towns  in former schools and store fronts. Many of
these are temporary and not much work is done to retrofit them

Other than that here are some of my favorites:

The Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore is in an old trolley building
Science Museum of Virginia in Richmond is in an old train station
Port Discovery a Children's Museum in Baltimore is in an old Fish Market
The Invention Factory in Trenton is in the old Roebling Engineers
building (this is the company that built the Brooklyn Bridge among
other things
National Building Museum in DC is in the US Pension Building
The City Museum in St. Louis is in The INternational Shoe Company
(This museum is awesome!)
The Weather Discovery Center in North Conway, New Hampshire is in
former bank (its second)
The Great Blacks in Wax Museum in Baltimore is in an old Fire Station

And since you asked for "cultural space"
The Charles Theater, an art house movie theater in Baltimore is in an
old trolley barn
The Torpedo Factory, an art studio/gallery coop in Arlington, VA is in
an old Torpedo Factory.

For broader research you should just go to the member lists of various
museum associations and just let your fingers do the walking. ASTC and
Association of Children's Museums particularly will yield interesting
results. JUst look for names that use factory or industrial names in
the titles.

That's all I can think of right now. If I can think of any more I'll
let you know.

Matt