From:
"Larkin, Daniel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 13:32:40 -0400
Funding mix - Every museum/arts organization has its own funding mix.
There are no rules here.

Major Sources for Arts Funding -The rules have changed with regard to
State Funding. Given the recession and current federal economic policy,
the feds should be on everyone's radar right now.

-National Endowment for the Arts -
http://www.nea.gov/grants/apply/GAP10/MuseumsAAE.html
The next deadline is August 13, 2009. As some of you may now, an
application for emergency disbursement occurred this spring to previous
grant recipients. If there is another stimulus package in a few years
(which is not off the table), the NEA may do another distribution to
previous beneficiaries. It's important to get into their system now if
you can. Your activities may fit into multiple categories.

- Your local arts council - Stimulus money also is trickling though arts
councils. For example, I am working on a grant to the New York State
Council on the Arts, which got money from the NEA to for job
preservation in the arts. Check the website often. my local arts council
just announced how it was administering the stimulus money last week.

- National Endowment for the Humanities - For those of you looking to
fund education programs, looking into the NEH. But their parameters
strike me as more rigid that the NEA. http://www.neh.gov/.

Major/Local Foundations - No foundation right now is really looking for
new organizations to support. Many are struggling to fulfill mutli year
pledges they made a few years ago. Sending letters of inquiry to
foundations that you have no previous relationship is going to be tough.
If you have a few foundations already in your stable, strongly cultivate
the relationship with them because they are "voting friends off the
island" during the next funding cycle as they cope with record losses in
their endowments.

We cultivate the relationship with funders by requiring people who
benefit from the program to write a thank you letter to the funder. We
have them sent to our office so that we share a funders address. It's
old fashioned but highly effective. It means so much to our board
members and foundation program officers when once a month my intern
sends them an envelope with multiple thank you letters that vividly
illustrate the program's impact. Cultivation at this point in the game
is what will get you another check.

Daniel Larkin / Administrative Assistant
Friends of Materials for the Arts

33-00 Northern Boulevard, 3rd Floor
Long Island City, New York 11101-2215

V: 718-729-3001, ext. 218