From:
Christine Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:53:29 -0500
Mr. Baron,  I saw your post on Museum-L about the apartment you are
cleaning out.  As a collections manager at a medical museum in Iowa, I can
tell you that these sorts of collections (often stored in peoples basements
for decades) are often our best sources of rare artifacts or simply those
that are not yet represented in our collections.  Please don't junk them
until you consult with a medical museum.  There are quite a few in the
east.  You may want to consult the book, "Medical Landmarks USA" by Martin
Lipp which lists these museums and gives their addresses and phone numbers.
I also want to second Jack Thompson's advice to have a conservator or
radiologist look at the X-ray machine and fluoroscopes as they may contain
radioactive materials.  You should also know that other, seemingly inocuous
items such as water coolers and medicine bottles from the 20's, 30's and
later, were made of or held Radium-226 - a very dangerous material.  You
may want to contact the state radiation control program or the safety
office of a local university or hospital for help in searching for
radioactive material.

Good Luck with it,

Cris Wolf

Collections Manager