From:
Mark Erik Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 08:52:35 -0400
Thank you Neil, for your thoughtful response -- my feelings exactly. I
need to clarify, though, that the 'academic contingency' has a lot of
power in our situation, as we are a 'university museum'.
I think it is necessary for museums in the current political and economic
climate to re-examine our approach to exhibitions and even our
definition of art. What is the difference between 'high' art and 'low'
art? Should art be an esoteric experience? What is our roll in 'educating'
the public? I think the concept of a museum shop that plays an active
part in this discussion is fascinating and crucial. The shop is
potentially the strongest connection between the museum and its public.