From:
Claire Pillsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 09:45:59 -0800
I think the Minnesota History Museum in St. Paul, is one place that sets
the standard in terms of interactive exhibits and evocative exhibitions,
that look at history from a diverse standpoint.  They opened with a large
collection of objects from the historical society but the exhibits are much
more than a collection of curiosities.
I think they have an exhibit on wild rice - the trade and cultivation and
Indian traditions and how it has become commercialized.  Because of the
similarity to your topic (commericial industry and cultural interchange)
might be something to find out more about.

>The Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) in Seattle is preparing for a
>major new exhibit, "Fish and Chips: Nature, Culture and Technology on Puget
>Sound".   The exhibit will examine how technological change impacts the
>natural and cultural landscape.   It will center around a salmon-butchering
>machine patented as the "Iron Chink"  that was designed to replace
>decreasing reserves of skilled Chinese workers just after the turn of the
>century.  From this artifact, we will look at racism and labor relations,
>the process of invention, and the understanding of salmon biology at the
>turn of the century.
>
>In addition to traditional media, we want to use hands-on devices to deliver
>some of the exhibit concepts and content.  For example, having learners
>physically stack the number of cans that come from one salmon,  measure how
>fast they disassemble a Velcro salmon, or look through opposing
>stereopticons at contrasting  views of cultural stereotypes, etc.
>
>Has anyone out there worked with similar concepts, content  or delivery
>devices?  We are also considering working with local artists to create a
>space for the community to respond to issues of technology  and culture in
>their daily lives.  We would love to hear  your  ideas, contacts, words of
>encouragement or words of warning!
>
>Ed Lambert, Education Department:
>
>e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
>Museum of History and Industry
>2700 24th Avenue E
>Seattle, WA  98112
>(206) 324-1126
>Fax 342-1346

Claire Pillsbury, Exhibit Developer,
email - [log in to unmask]    TEL: 408-279-7136, FAX: 408-279-7197

Tech Museum of Innovation
145 West San Carlos Street
San Jose, CA  95113-2006
USA