From:
"Melinda Gilpin, Site Manager" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:04:54 -0500
Although I'm not an expert, here's my opinion/experience:

1. Access doesn't always mandate the selection of health care.  My husband and I are both eligible to carry insurance through our employers, and we chose to select my employer's health care coverage.  It was simply a better deal for the premium expense, copay, coverage, Rx rider, etc.  He "opted-out" of the plan his employer offers.  We could also have chosen to each carry our own insurance through our respective employers - but in our case, with kids, it made sense to carry one policy.  It was a lot less hassle, too.

2.  No - an eligible benefit is just that - eligible to receive the benefit as stated in your employee policy.  If an employee chooses not to take advantage of that opportunity, it is lost.  I have never heard of anyone receiving the monetary equivalent to their insurance premium in lieu of coverage. This is pretty standard through both the public and private sector in situations where I have been employed.   (i.e. my husband does not receive any health benefit because he is covered on my insurance.  He works for county government - and does not receive any type of additional compensation even though he is saving his employer approx. $600 per month by NOT being on their health coverage.  Of course, every year during open enrollment he has the opportunity to sign up for health coverage and would be accepted based on his employement eligibility.  This is different from a "qualifying event" - marriage, adoption, birth, etc. - that would allow him to add/change his policy immediately.)

I'd also point out that we are in a time where more employers are passing along higher percentages of the costs associated with benefits to their employees - skyrocketing costs are making more employers consider higher employee contributions to premiums, lower benefits structures, and consolidation into larger groups for cost control.

Melinda Gilpin