From:
Rebecca Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 21:07:43 -0500
Hello all.

Does anyone have any theoretical or methodological suggestions as to analyzing or interpreting photographs?  I am working with a collection of 34,000 glass plate negatives, all of which came from one photography studio (three photographers) that operated from 1862 to 1968 in Leavenworth, Kansas.  The vast majority of the photos are studio portraits and I would like to develop an exhibit focusing on "the family" as seen through these portraits.  The project is somewhat overwhelming and I am not quite sure how to approach it.  So far, I am utilizing methods/theories of material culture but am wondering what approaches other museum professionals, historians, and culturists have used.

I am currently reading Severa's Dressed for the Photographer to gain some ideas.  I am also searching for books/articles regarding the history of photographic portraits and photographic interpretation--any suggestions?  Or does anyone know of similar projects?

I will greatly appreciate any input, suggestions, or advice.

Thank you,
Rebecca J. Phipps