From:
"Lauren B. Allen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:52:56 -0400
Of course, it would be awesome to have this visit your institution:

www.themilktruck.org

I agree with Liz, it is important for institutions and their employees to remember that feeding a baby is quite the opposite of changing a baby's diapers--and again very different from being sick.  I think many mothers would argue that the most convenient place to feed their children is where they are at the moment the child is hungry.

Some folks worry that a breastfeeding mother would make other patrons uncomfortable--in these instances, I encourage people to reflect on exhibits at various museums that can cause discomfort, but in that internal conflict, we have the opportunity learn important lessons about ourselves and what it means to be human.

lauren b. allen
u of pittsburgh ctr for learning in out of school environments