Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:15:25 -0600

Hello!

I'm a long time lurker to the list.  This afternoon, I was looking up information on vintage dresses and gowns when I came across this blogger's post: http://thedarlingsfables.tumblr.com/post/3489854698/a-pair-of-kindred-spirits   For those that don't like links, it says the following:

My friend Lesley and I used to work at a museum and one day after work
we snuck some brilliant dresses off some mannequins and some other props
 and came up with these charming photos. I hope they bring you as much
satisfaction and longing for summer as they do me.

The post is accompanied by an array of photos of the two ladies in what are clearly late 19th century/early 20th century gowns doing a variety of seemingly innocent activities; such as cloud watching in the grass or kneeling outside in the grass.  However, those activities are extremely damaging to antique cotton and silk gowns not to mention any insects or chemicals they may have gotten on them thanks to lawn care.

I would love to believe that she was joking and did have permission -much in the same vain as I say when I tell people I'm going to "kidnap" my nephew- but I can't imagine a curator allowing someone to lay down outside in the grass in an antique dress that is part of the museum's collection.

So, if you all can help ease my mind and tell me she did actually have permission to wear the dresses, that would be awesome.  Does anyone even recognize the gowns?  I believe the lady lives in Canada but I'm unsure if the museum she "borrowed" these dresses from is there.   Does anyone know if she had permission or not?  Is the museum even aware of what took place?

If she didn't have permission, how did she manage to get the artifacts out of the museum without anyone raising an eyebrow?   I really think this might be a larger discussion on museum security and procedures, particularly for trusted individuals in the museum.

I really hope someone recognizes the gowns and can help tell me yea or nay on whether or not this lady had permission to have those gowns.

Thank you,

Isabella