From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:18:30 -0400
Another factor is cost of the program.  Some are entirely free, some don't help financially in any way.  A program such as the Winterthur/University of Delaware Program in Early American Culture was the sister program of the conservation program I attended.  Many current museum staff have gone through this highly respected program.  When I was there, the program provided a full tuition waiver plus a stipend adequate for living expenses if the student was not extravagant.  I lived fully on mine and even saved a little.  I'm not sure what the current financial arrangements are, but if they are similar, a lot can be said for graduating with no student debt!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Objects Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)