From:
"Tenuth, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 11:02:58 -0400
The answer to your question lies in your collecting strategy, which should be part of your acquisition policy.  This strategy and policy are part of a more comprehensive Collections Management Policy, which is designed to guide and protect your institution.  If your institution doesn't have a Collections Management Policy, then your board/leadership needs to create one.  With such a set of policies in place, this kind of problem is less likely to arise.  This requires defining the mission of your institution and the policies and strategies that will help you meet your mission.  A CMP will include an acquisition policy, a deaccession policy, loan policies, a photographic reproduction policy, a conservation policy, an access to policy, and others.  It sounds like your institution has gathered a lot of irrelevant material over the years.  I would suggest you determine your mission statement first and then determine what objects help you carry out your mission.  As you draft your new policies, you'll be surprised at how easy it can be to rid yourself of irrelevant material.

Jeff Tenuth
Science and Technology Collection Manager
Indiana State Museum
Indianapolis, Indiana