From:
Ken Yellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2017 16:33:24 -0500

Hi Diane,

I'd suggest a different approach, one that could build a more productive
relationship in the future; think of it as a teaching moment. Since he is
likely  to continue to send you stuff unbidden, you ought to take advantage of
it, but  it will require a little time, but it may well be worth it in time
saved in the  future.

Make a list of what he's sent that you accessioned and highlight the ones
that you consider gems; make a parallel list of his most recent batch and
highlight the pieces you're not interested in. If you have a collections
policy,  look at whatever it says about the scope of your collections. If your
CP  addresses this, look at what have been identified as gaps in the
collection. If it doesn't, spend a half hour de-briefing  yourself: this is the
story we're trying to tell--what's missing that would  allow us to tell it
better? What are our limits: what's outside the mission or  beyond our capacity
to manage it or whatever the other selective  criteria you apply? Have him
in for coffee and talk him through this. Make  him an ally and a scout for
you.

It's maybe worth thinking about whether others in your community would
benefit from and welcome an opportunity to learn about what you collect and why
 and the range of issues you are evaluating as part of that process.
They're not  just your audience; they're your support group and they'll be more
supportive if  they understand you better.

My two cents.

Ken

KEN YELLIS
Project Development  Services
21 Gibbs Lane
Portsmouth, RI 02871
Office: 401-619-4524 o Cell:  401-662-7769 o [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])

In a message dated 2/15/2017 4:26:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,