Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:51:56 -0400

List, et al.,

At my old position at Old Fort Niagara, every member of the interpretive staff had to do musket demonstrations. Children would often come up with interesting questions, or want to tell you about their uncle's hunting rifle, which we shared. The best ones were often put up on the whiteboard in the office as "Quote of the week". I had one student raise his hand and proceed to tell me about a "documentary" he had seen once, only to have him give a complete rundown of the final battle scene of "The Patriot". That one still raises a chuckle amongst my reenacting friends now and again.

I was at a WWII living history and while the father of a very overactive child talked with out machine-gunner, his kid walked up to where I was sitting and started playing with a display enbloc clip we had out. He turned to those of us that were sitting there and proclaimed "Wouldn't this be awesome if you could put it in a bullet launcher?".

Finally, one evening, doing a presentation for an overnight program of boy scouts, I was making connections to what they had brought and what I, dressed as a British soldier of 1778, would have carried on campaign. Reaching into one of my bags, I proclaimed that I even had my 18th Century version of a PSP. The kids all started getting excited, and the one kid took me back to 3rd grade by shouting "Can I play first? After you're done, of coarse." I think the next thing coming out of his mouth was a promise to be my friend if he could play. They were quite disappointed when I pulled out my rag with a 9 Man's Morris board inked on it.

Rory Bialecki
Presently unemployed...

=