From:
"Janzen, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:00:03 -0500
Hi Nan,

With all proper acknowledgements that I am not a copyright attorney and assuming I am understanding your situation…

Section 108 refers to a library or archive making copies(3) of a given digital work for preservation purposes and using those copies in the normal processing and research of the collections.

Section 108 does not refer to presentation or display of a digital work, especially a commercial DVD movie, to the public outside research and scholarship(digital art shown in a museum gallery setting would be an exception). Whether that presentation is free or there is a charge, or whether that copy is owned by the archive or acquired from somewhere else is not relevant. Any display of a copyrighted work to the public that can be construed as infringing on normal commercial exploitation should be accompanied by a public performance license or written permission from the copyright holder(s).

Your Netflix contract specifies that the works you get from them cannot be displayed in a public forum without proper permissions. You can get more information on public performance licenses and requirements at www.swank.com<http://www.swank.com>.

I do not know if you might be able to get a bye on the basis of a film series sponsored by a non-profit institution. You should definitely look into it before moving forward.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collection Manager

Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

316-978-5850