From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:54:20 -0700
Penelope & David,

When I pulled my dictionary, the word 'intellectual' didn't reveal much
either. But look down a couple of lines.  In my Webster's Collegiate 11th
Ed.  I find 'intellectualism' with the meaning ".devoted to exercise of the
intellect or to intellectual pursuits -intellectualist."  This is closer to
explaining the context of your Romanian immigrant artists.

I associate the use of the term 'Intellectual' in the way your original post
seemed to use it, as a class or category of person, usually in 19th or early
20th century Europe, who had probably studied at the great Universities, and
whose studies were more philosophical than profession oriented. They likely
were trained in the classics, - I envision them engaged in political and
philosophical discussions in sidewalk cafes, etc. Some were poor, others had
independent wealth, but it was still sort of a socio-economic class. They
became writers, philosophers, artists, etc.

Perhaps our European colleagues on the list can explain this better or
correct misimpressions I might have.

I recently read an interesting book, The Orientalist, (author is Tom Reiss)
about an elusive author called Kurban Said, whose real name was Lev
Nussimbaum.. he was the son of a wealthy oil man, born in Baku, Russia
(Azerbaijan). He and his father emigrated to central Europe and became
impoverished when the Bolsheviks took over the Baku oil fields. He along
with other 'orientalists' converted to an intellectualized version of Islam.
It is a fascinating picture of the early 20th century in Europe and the
intellectual, political, social climate, overlaid with economic uncertainty
and upheaval after WWI, which led to the rise of Hitler. In it I think you
will get a sense of the kind of 'Intellectuals' your reference refers to.

 (As an aside, I was reading it during the height of our new PC Christmas
sensitivities and was totally taken by a photo in the book showing a large
group of Jewish and Muslim children in Baku, Russia gathered around a large,
finely decorated Christmas tree, having a Christmas party in 1913!!)

Lucy Sperlin

  _____