From:
Dale Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:04:24 -0400
I am currently conducting evaluations for the first national Black Women
Playwrights' Group.  Below is a link and description of the conference. For
any of you involved in museum theatre or other theatre, or know others who
are, please check this out.

http://www.blackwomenplaywrights.org/revamped_site/conference_2008.asp

The Black Women Playwrights' Group, in collaboration with Loyola University
Chicago's Department of Fine and Performing Arts, presents: Whisper. Laugh.
Shout. Tell The Story: First National Meeting of Women of Color Writing
Drama, September 4-7, 2008, Loyola University, Chicago, IL.

The meeting is historic. For the first time women writers of color will
gather in a nurturing environment that assumes they should have prolific,
consistent careers writing dramatic literature that illuminates the human
condition. We want to ask writing women what they need to navigate the
labyrinth facing writers of color in theater, film, and television. Focus
groups will ask, "What do you need? How can we support you?" With the
answers to these questions, we will design a national level of membership
that serves not only women playwrights of color but also the American
theater.

Who should come? You should. If you are thinking about writing your first
play, or have just started, come. If you have written 20 plays, come. If you
are writing hip hop, dramas, comedies, gospel plays, musicals, come! If you
are writing for film and television, come. Your voice is unique, but we are
gathering kindred spirits with stories to tell.

The four-day meeting will include a staged reading, an awards dinner,
workshops, and small group discussions that center on the playwrights'
experiences. Lynn Nottage, MacArthur award-winning playwright, is a guest
speaker. Scholars and professionals in the field will also be present to
make this a memorable and worthwhile event.

The conference will take place at Loyola University Chicago's newly
renovated Mundelein Center for the Fine and Performing Arts on Loyola's Lake
Shore Campus. Loyola Professor Jonathan Wilson, a highly respected director
at regional theaters across the nation, will direct the staged reading. For
Loyola, the conference is the beginning of a year-long focus on gender,
diversity, and new initiatives in the American theater.

Dale

Dale Jones

Making History Connections

 <http://www.makinghistoryconnections.com/> www.makinghistoryconnections.com

 <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

14011 Ardara Ct.

Glenwood MD 21738

443-472-2670 or 410-489-7968

Affiliated with Qm2: Quality Management to a Higher Power

Visit  <http://www.qm2.org/> www.qm2.org for briefings on nonprofit
leadership, management, and organizational change