From:
Jim O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:06:49 -0400
An interesting question (to me), and one for which I don't have an answer
is this:  In what way does the failure of institutions to pay a living wage
restrict the pool from which their staff is drawn?  Isn't it true that
museum staff (certainly art museum staff) is almost universally white and
largely from middle-class/upper middle-class backgrounds?

Many people on the list report almost nostalgically (maybe almost smugly)
about their low-paid, beginning jobs.  How was taking that job possible?
Certainly it would be very difficult for people with families or other
responsibilities.  One suspects that at least some who remember the hard
times had assistance from family--supplemental cash, maybe, or a co-signer
for a loan.  Working class people may not have those resources.

I'm always interested when I hear of museums "reaching out" to
African-Americans, members of other minority groups, immigrants and so on
when they wish (very sincerely) to address "their" issues.  An institution
whose wage structure didn't preclude the employment of people from
disadvantaged, working-class or lower class backgrounds might find that
knowledge right at home.  And an affirmative action program in an
institution that pays less than the cost of child care might be in trouble,
huh?

Jim O'Connor