From:
"Feltus, Pamela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 14:10:05 -0400
If you can not get a position with a museum as a junior researcher, look at
other non-profits, especially large ones which have large development
departments. That experience would be invaluable- you'll do the most basic
jobs, but they are the foundation of all fundraising you will do at all
levels. I took a detour  after grad school museums via an organ transplant
charity, and although the only thing I did with museums during those two
years was hold a fundraiser at one, the experience I got was so invaluable I
wouldn't trade it for anything. Everything from prospect research, grant
applications, The Ask, marketing, donor cultivation, etc. If you had a
choice, I would say get a position with an innovative supervisor who will
try new things, because then you will be able to witness new and different
ways to ask for money-- knowledge you can either use in the future or know
to avoid. The sad truth today is that it isn't just directors who need to
know fundraising skills. You have a long career ahead of you and taking a
year or so to learn an important skill is well worth it.

My warning, as you mentioned off-hours work, is to be careful when you apply
and make sure you won't be doing telemarketing fundraising calls. It'll give
you extremely little experience and you'll be among the most hated people in
America. Also, if instead of working for an in-house operation you go for an
agency (is that the right term?), investigate their records, the percentage
that goes to the charities and matters like that. Fundraising is something
you should do with the highest ethical standards and if you learn from
someone lacking them, then you will never know any better.

Pamela Feltus
Curator
National Museum of American Jewish Military History
1811 R Street NW, Washington DC 20009
202-265-6280 x201

www.nmajmh.org

(without the quotes).