From:
Jason Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 11:11:14 -0500
I leave it to conservators to provide the authoritative sources for you, but I am
aware of two books from Smithsonian Inst Press that may serve:

1. Conservation Concerns (pub. 1992) is subtitled A Guide for Collectors and
Curators, and examines such topics as storage of various media, warning signs of
trouble, and conservation. Again, I cannot attest to the expertise of the book,
but it does seem useful.

2. The Art of the Conservator (pub. 1992) is a compilation of eleven case studies
-- e.g., the Portland Vase, the Leonardo cartoon from the National Gallery, the
Sistine Chapel, the Marcus Aurelius, etc. -- that puts you "in the mind of the
conservator," so to speak, and walk you through the remedial work.

They can be ordered from 717.794.2148. Or for further information, call SI Press
at 202.287.3738.

Hope that's of some use,

Jason Edward Kaufman