From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:16:49 -0600
I was faced with a similar "membership" structure when I got here almost 6
years ago and one of the first things I did was separate out actual
membership fees ($25 for individuals, $40 for families) with their benefits,
which are pretty much the same as Katie's (although I do also emphasize the
"warm and fuzzy feeling" members get) from "additional donation", which is
100% tax deductable.  [As a side note, the actual value of the membership
does fall below any IRS minimum, since shop discounts are not considered
benefits, the newsletter is available free at the Museum and we have a
"suggested donation" instead of an actual entrance fee.]

One of the things that sent me in this direction was a flyer I got from a
museum that had tried to assign different benefits to different membership
levels and had ended up with things like "the curator will answer your
request for information" and other things that weren't really of much value
and would probably be done for a member of the general public if they asked.

I, too, feel unhappy with the idea of giving away memberships, so I put our
donors on our complimentary mailing list.   This year I am planning to send
a letter to those on this list similar to our membership letter, suggesting
that they join to support the Museum.   If not, we'll still send the
newsletter though.

janice

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian
www.mitchellmuseum.org