From:
Theresa M Peeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:12:53 -0000
Erica,
    I agree with Pamela and Ross that a paper trail is paramount, especially since the donor is a board member.  Payments and business transactions with board members can present problems if they are not well documented.
    And Pamela, as to your comments regarding boards and financial professionalism, I'll see your comments and raise them.  I wholeheartedly agree.  I work quite often with boards helping define long-term goals, strategic plans and fundraising.  I counsel them that they should view selecting board members the same way they chose up sides for games when they were young.  Friendship aside, you started with the players you thought would help you win the game.  When it comes to boards, the staff should decide what expertise is needed and go after that profession.  I am asked quite a lot to serve on boards and when I accept, I know it is because of my legal expertise.  Of course I'm a nice person, but, I know that my service on the board has a particular mission.
    Financial expertise is paramount not only on staff, but, on the board.  To quote a line from the movie Jerry Maguire, "it's not show friends, it's show business."  A funder is likely to favor an organization that has strong financial management.  A business-like eye towards the bottom line can go a long way towards putting an organization on a solid foundation.  End of rant!
---
Terry Peeler, Esquire
Art & Entertainment Law
215-575-1180-p