From:
Beth Macdonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 21:38:38 -0700
Gentle Listers....

Tom Bouchard wrote:

"The other trend that as designers we are being asked to do, is take the
graphics and other items from our design work and find ways for them to be
available in stores. For instance a CD ROM interactive in the exhibits could
be available in a slightly different format for sale. A copy of it might be
playing on a kiosk. Another thing is that with digital imaging almost any
image in the exhibits or archives can be made available for sale (rights
issues not withstanding). There are lots of possibilities for integration. "

My company, Big Head Interactive, produces interactive CDs specifically for
this application, but goes beyond simple reformatting of an existing
CD-based interactive embedded in the exhibit. We encourage museums, science
centers,  and heritage centers to consider the vast wealth of material in
their storage, as well as new exhibit  and installation items as excellent
source for an interactive CD. We specialize in using digital video and
digital stills of dioramas and installations, knit together with animation,
museum staff and scholar interviews, music and narration to create an
excellent companion piece to a museum visit. But more than just providing a
memento, an interactive CD is an opportunity to go beyond the exhibit,
delving deeper into subject matter, showcasing elements of a collection that
funding or real estate could not permit display space.In this way, as Angela
Roberts, of Hillwood Museum & Gardens referred to in her original posting,
the shop indeed becomes an extension of the interpretation effort.
Interactive CDs can also be an engaging component  of an educational
outreach program for those without robust internet service.

A staff member at the Met indicated that the CD title, "Splendors of
Imperial China: Treasures from the National Palace Museum, Taipei"
experienced run away sales, selling out all 7 thousand copies in the first
week of the three month exhibit, going on to sell 15k copies by exhibit
close. AND  it was cheaper to produce, containing more material,  than the
printed catalogue!  It showcased more than 475 masterpieces from the
National Palace Museum,Taipei, Taiwan. In addition to full-color
illustrations and descriptive texts, the program contains biographies,
translations and an audio pronunciation guide, maps, a glossary, an index, a
chronology, and the ability to unroll precious scrolls to their full length,
something that could not be done in the exhibit as installed. (Copies are
still available on the Met's web site shop.)

I am currently preparing an article providing information about creating
good contracts with exhibit fabricators and designers. Museums need to
insure that the museum's digital rights to graphics (as Tom Bouchard
mentioned),  3 dimensional installation items, A/V components, etc. are
protected for use in interactive CD ROMs for sale under museum title. I hope
to cover topics that will get the creative juices flowing, and inspire
broader usage of this very profitable form of interpretation. It is
important for museum staff to think ahead to these potentials, even if the
immediate future does not hold a CD project.

Museums that track CD purchase rate as a percentage of visitors are finding
numbers around 3 out of a 100 visitors purchase an exhibit CD (these numbers
are enhanced when kiosks both in the exhibit space and museum store are
used). Traveling exhibits are well suited to companion CDs, as the CD can
act both as advance publicity and remain in the host museum shop after the
exhibit has traveled on.

I crunched numbers for  a prospective client museum projecting over of 450k
visitors to a planned exhibit. That would translate into potential sales of
13,688 CDs, using the 3 out of a hundred visitors model. Lets round down a
bit to 13,500, subtract the "break even" sales of the initial 1,600 CDs (to
cover production costs of $45k), and, assume a sales price of $30. That
represents profit to the museum of $357,000 in the first year.

Not bad, eh? For a meaningful and relevant item that serves as an extension
of your interpretation effort, expanding upon your interpretive message
while turning a respectable profit at the same time!

If I can be of service as a sounding board for  designers or museums
considering a CD project, please contact me by phone or email. I would be
glad to help.

Beth Macdonald
Big Head Interactive
415.752.6511