From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:17:05 -0700
First off, I've been involved in private dialogue with
the gentleman in question.  He's a very gracious
individual, and he deserves my empathy.  Clearly, he
has that, and hopefully he has some additional
resources.

I don't know how long each of you has been on the
list.  Frankly, I don't care.  I can only speak to how
long I've been here, and that's about 4-1/2 years if
memory serves me correctly (though there are never any
guarantees the more candles I get).  Note to Self:
Must eat more Vitamin B12 foods to stave off the
memory lapses.

His was a good post.  Of that, there is no doubt.  But
his was the second post in a very short period of time
that was headed toward the path of "I Need a Job."

Some of the long timers will tell you that, about this
time of year, when the new school year starts, there
are a slew of eager individuals who find the list and
immediately want job help.  From what I've been able
to glean here, museum employees are not often
long-term career employees but seem to move from job
to job as the opportunity to advance or be enriched
presents itself.  So that adds to the factor a whole
slew of additional job seekers.

Experience has shown that, on this list, there are
three factions:  those who want job help, those who
don't want job postings, and those who don't care one
way or the other.  But there are enough in the first
two contingents that, when the job postings start,
there's usually a ballyhoo.  Check the archives for
yourselves if you have the time and/or don't believe
me.  Where are the archives?  Check the sigfile of
each message from the Museums list, click on its link,
scroll down, and it will take you to the archives.

An attempt at being half humorous was translated at
cynical.  Tuff taters!  I'm not responsible for how
one single person on this list chooses to interpret
ANYTHING.

All I was doing was attempting to be clever but, more
importantly, attempting to consolidate the answers
that usually come jostling forth on this list when
somebody says, "I need a job."

Roger says, "Use Global Museum."  I say, "Use my
employment web site."  Three or four more people
usually respond with a number of other answers, most
of which have been captured in my website.  I threw
"Crazy Roy's" website in there (the boy is nuts about
museums and has worked his heart out putting together
a valuable resource that should be used and codes like
a madman, constantly trying to enhance the site, so
use it if you're smart!) because you can find tons of
museums at the tip of your fingers.  I also suggested,
I think, to go to http://www.newspaperlinks.com (and
if I didn't, I just did, but it's in the Topics
section of my web site).

And, for good measure, I said join us on the MuseJobs
list (where, for the record, every job posting here
gets cross posted, resumes can be uploaded, Marina,
Julia, and several others contribute positions they've
found, I include the HotJobs.com tips, Jim Roberts
posts the stuff on his University of Leicester (UK)
web site, I give them employment law info for several
countries, they get articles about the state of
employment in general.  They are reminded to visit
Roger's site episodically.  Best of all, we have some
extremely talented museums professionals who are able
to offer job seekers good insights when questions are
answered.

What I was ATTEMPTING to do was to stop another one of
these silly, petty,
there-are-more-important-things-to-dispute
discussions, but WE have failed.

The hell with it.  Argue all you want about who the
idiot of the day is.  I'm not wearing that crown, and
neither was the original job seeker.  I'm going back
to the pro bono stuff I do and read the rest of the
mail.  I'm sure my delete key will get a very
justifiable workout.

The pettiness and ungraciousness of some is mitigated
tremendously by the vary sagacious and gracious people
on this list--like Mr. Weeks and some of the others.

You can't fool all of the people all of the time, and
you sure as hell can't please them.

And David H, if you find a typo or grammatical error,
that's my gift to you today!

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.  To mitigate these
ballyhoos, I spend about two hours a day pro bono
working for the greater good of the community.  I'm
going to indulge myself for five minutes and think
that maybe I've earned the right.

Have whatever day you want to!

--- Lara Taylor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Ross and Indigo, I wholeheartedly disagree

=====
Indigo Nights

Looking for a Job?  Try Got Links?, Your One-Stop Portal
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/stanmer/414