From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:01:01 -0500
Sue,

Unfortunately, the one thing I am sure of in caring for historic and

valuable coins is that you never, NEVER, ever clean them. Use no chemicals,

abrasives, or harsh language, no matter how non-invasive it might sound.

The value and importance of coins is in their condition as well as their

rarity, and even light "cleaning" can seriously damage their appearance and

value.

I would advise you leave them for a conservator to deal with, depite the

late date. Perhaps a small label explaining that to visitors.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             "Sue E. Clock"

             <SClock@MINNETRIS

             TA.NET>                                                    To

             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]

             discussion list                                            cc

             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject

                                       Cleaning early coinage

             04/16/2007 08:25

             AM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Our mid-sized museum is preparing an exhibit of medium exchange featuring

currency and coinage.  Some of the early colonial coins are extremely

tarnished and dark.  I am unsure of how to safely “clean” or prepare these

early coins for display, knowing that some cleaners are quite harsh and

damaging.  We do not have a conservator on staff and would not be able to

consult with one at this late date.  I would appreciate any comments or

suggestions on cleaning methods for copper, silver and gold coins.  Thank

you in advance.

Sue Clock

Collections Manager

Minnetrista