From:
Sarah Brophy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:47:04 -0400
The English are better at gap analysis than we are in the States..as they
are in many things 'museum'.  Thanks for the reminder Jeremy.

Sarah S. Brophy, LEED-AP

208 S. Aurora Street

Easton, MD 21601

410-822-1076 (phone and fax)

Website:  www.bmuse.net

Co-Author The Green Museum:  A Primer on Environmental Practice

Hi Claudia,

An interesting question indeed. I have read other list members replies, all
of which seem good advice, so a further way you could approach this:
undertake a gap analysis. So:

1. Rather than starting with "what can we offer?", start with "what does the
community need?".

2. Then look at how that need is met - not only by yourself but others.

3. Then work out the gap between their needs and what is being provided.

4. Then look at how your museum could help address that gap (this could be
"more of the same" or "something completely different").

5. Then finally consider how your potential funder might help you to do
those things.

6. Result: a cohesive and logical plan which shows careful research, a gap
in needs and the role your museum could play in filling that gap with the
support of the funder.

I hope that's helpful.

Kind Regards,

Jerry Symonds - Senior Internal Auditor