From:
Antony F Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 22:36:19 -0000
Does any list member know the whereabouts of the Lewitt-Him design partnership papers?

Jan Lewitt and George Him formed a remarkable partnership known as Lewitt-Him first in Poland and from 1937 until 1954 in England. Together they designed many distinguished and vivacious posters - such as the wartime Shank's Pony.

George Him also made illustrations for many books, notably for Don Quixote and Zuleika Dobson and also many delightful books for children like the famous Little Red Engine with Jan Lewitt (1942) , and the Giant Alexander books with Frank Herrmann. He also designed the Guinness Clock at the Festival of Britain (1951) and the Masada Exhibition 1966 and the Israel pavilion at Expo 67.

When the Lewitt-Him partnership split up in 1954, Jan Lewitt retained all the correspondence and art work of the partnership. George Him's subsequent papers have been deposited with the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, but the whereabouts of the Lewitt-Him partnership papers is unknown. Can anyone help here?

My reason for asking is that I wish to trace in particular the art work and correspondence relating to the Diana Ross/Lewitt-Him book The Little Red Engine gets a Name (1942). I would like to the Lewitt heirs, so that permission can be sought for republication with the original artwork. The heirs of George Him have already been traced.

If anyone has information that will lead towards either locating the papers or the heirs of Jan Lewitt please reply to me off line at:

Anyone reading this who happens to remember and enjoyed the Little Red Engine books will find information on Diana Ross's website at:

http://www.diana-ross.co.uk

Off line comments please to:

Antony Anderson
http://www.diana-ross.co.uk