From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:33:21 -0800
If, by responding, you mean typing, and it's difficult
for you, may I suggest you consider what many of my
blind friends, the LA Police Department, and what I'm
having my dad do when he gets on line?

Have you considered Voice Recognition Software?  There
are a number of semi-decent programs out there, and
from what I'm told, Dragon seems to have some of the
better ones.  When I priced yesterday, I considered
buying, but it was more than I wanted to pay until I
knew which must-have software programs I needed on my
new toy.  Seems to me, it was around $200.

That may seem like a lot, but, just as it was with my
decision to pay more and get a faster system, thereby
freeing up some of my time and still allowing me the
luxuries of the topics important to me, it would
probably more than pay for itself.

I don't know what software firms you have in your
area.  You could probably get it at CompUSA or Best
Buy if they have it.  In addition, don't overlook
checking Ebay's software section (if you need my list
of caveats for that, ask me off line).

I once made my living typing exclusively (in my early
years).  At one point, I typed over 100 wpm of
necessity.  I've slowed down a bit, but even I am
considering the software to minimize creation time.
You talk, it types, and then you just spend your time
with cleanup where it didn't recognize your speech
pattern.

As I said, LAPD is using it with their officers for
writing reports.  Much faster.

--- "David E. Haberstich" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Most Museum-L messages are relatively brief,
> compared to those I see on
> several other lists to which I subscribe.  And it
> isn't always the same
> people writing either.  On my other lists, I see
> three or four lengthy
> messages from the same people day after
> day--occasionally as many as ten from
> a single person, in which the dialogue suggests that
> these folks are spending
> the better part of the day on the listserv.  Now
> those are people with too
> much time on their hands.  The most verbose,
> although his chatter is always
> lively, stimulating, and intelligent, is a clinical
> psychologist, who
> provides many anecdotes about his clients--one can
> only guess what that means.
>
> I have had to restrain myself from handling
> listservs at the office, however,
> and now subscribe to all of them from home.  The
> reading takes a lot of time,
> and it's unpredictable, but I seldom spend much time
> writing messages any
> more.  I've had to subscribe from home because the
> volume of office
> e-mail--some of it important--has expanded wildly in
> recent months, and I
> have to ensure against getting bogged down with
> peripheral stuff, however
> interesting it might be to me.  But it has certainly
> helped me learn to
> speed-read!  But believe me, Museum-L traffic is
> mild, despite the large
> membership.
>
> David Haberstich

=====