From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2016 15:43:25 -0400
Laurel,

Perhaps I am sticking out my neck where it does not belong, but as a conservator I have seen the inner workings of hundreds of smaller museums.  The first rule of preservation is to collect only what your mission calls for.  No institution can collect and properly care for everything.  I therefore would advise that you continue doing what supports your mission statement and do not enter into any agreements with any other institution.  What possibly could be to your advantage with such a situation?  You are two separate organizations with (hopefully) different missions.  Let them do what they do, and you do what you do.  I have heard of very specific situations where institutions in a region have agreed they would collect different things, but that is not what you are describing.  This is a temporary situation, so unless you want to work out a long-term agreement that prevents your institutions from competing for the same objects, do your own thing, unencumbered.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Objects Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)