From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:55:17 -0500

Jason,

For my part...I do not believe that our encouragement or discouragement is

going to significantly effect the general selling/buying activity. I feel

discouraging sellers who do not want to donate only alienates them. They

are going to sell the stuff anyway, and they will be less likely to

consider you or other museums in the future. Private collecting by museum

employees is another matter, but I did not think that was your question.

I think our place in such situations is first and foremost to encourage

donation to a good institution. If they are not interested in going that

route, then we can help them find another venue. Valuating or

authenticating their works is still considered unethical behavior. We can

however help them find reputable auction houses, and suggest other

collectors/dealers who might be interested. I am just now wondering how the

profession might view steering a seller toward a private collector who we

know will eventually give their collections to our museums. Unethical or

savvy? Probably a fine line.

I always figure that the more information I can ethically give the public

and the better the venue for their materials, the better care the objects

will be given in the long run. I want a painting(or whatever) to sell for

the most possible, rather than going for nothing on e-bay. The buyer will

then value it more, and hopefully care for it better. I am not sure of the

validity of this logic, but I figure the longer it lasts the more likely it

will eventually end up in a museum. Helping the public in this way also

helps put a positive face on the museum and its outlook on such things.

That may eventually result in more donations.

To a certain degree, we are in competition with the private market, but I

do not think in a negative way. We should always be aware of what is going

on in the market, since it can have direct bearing on what we are given/not

given as well as how our collections are perceived. Museums in turn have an

effect on the private market by collecting and showing certain objects

considered to be particularly special or quality. I guess that could be

looked at as more of a symbiotic relationship.

I hope that is helpful.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             Jason Aikens

             <jason.aikens@PRO

             FOOTBALLHOF.COM>                                           To

             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]

             discussion list                                            cc

             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject

                                       Pros and Cons of Private Collecting

             04/05/2005 11:09

             AM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I have a philosophical question on whether museums should encourage or

discourage private collecting.  As the Collections Curator at the Pro

Football Hall of Fame it is my responsibility to field questions from the

public regarding the value of their memorabilia on how they can sell their

memorabilia.  Often people mistakenly believe that we purchase memorabilia

which we do not.  Everything we collect is through donations.

Our institution wrestles with the dilemma, as a public service should we

help people determine the value of their memorabilia?  Should we help them

sell their memorabilia by pointing out reputable dealers and auction

houses?  Or is the memorabilia market and private collecting a source of

competition to our own acquisition efforts through donations?  Or does the

memorabilia market and private collecting generate interest in football

memorabilia in general and encourages collectors and the public to attend

our museum to see highly valuable memorabilia?

I’m sure many professionals can relate to this dilemma, since nearly all

museums collect objects or works of art that not only have historical

significance but also have monetary value in the open market.  Please let

me know what your opinions are on this issue.  If this issue, as to

whether museums should discourage or encourage private collecting, has

been discussed in museum publications please let me know.

Thanks

Jason Aikens

Collections Curator

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at