From:
Kathie Gow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:49:45 -0400
I guess that raises a question I've had for a few years - though surveys and
articles and our own experiences confirm that much-needed conservation work
and inventory work, to name just two areas, are often not getting done at
museums (especially small historical museums across the country), there are
many grants available for lots of OTHER things. Why do grantors have to make
you jump through so many hoops? Knowing how important it is to have a
computerized inventory, for instance, why isn't there a pre-set grant that
is just for that? So small museums can hire museum professionals to do the
work, or at least get it going? My impression is that there is a lot of
grant money available, but it is so often not for the things you most need.
That being said, I AM working on an inventory grant funded by our state and
local Community Preservation Act, and for that I am quite grateful. But not
every town (or state) has such a program. I guess as several people have
said, it comes down to advocacy and awareness, and getting people to care
about museums and what they offer.

--Kathie

Kathie Gow

Oral History Producer