From:
alexandra rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 14:20:45 -0500
Hi All:

This is an open-ended question, and I appreciate any direction you can
offer:

One of my contracts is with an all-volunteer historic property that wants to
increase earned income through rentals - weddings, parties, the usual. The
property rents successfully now but not on a structured business model.  We
want to retain our current community support and constituents, but know that
the income stream could be increased significantly.  FYI, I've looked at
AAM, NEMA, AASLH and haven't landed on a cohesive way to get a grip on this
without spending a huge block of time.

Can anyone direct me on the following:

How can I determine what the going rates are in my region [Boston] without
calling each historic property in the area and working up a full-blown
analysis based on square footage, facilities, and so on?  It's understood
that this is not an exact science.

What policies/standards are crucial or advisable?

Where are there model forms?

If we hire an events person, what are successful models for paying?
Percentage?  Retainer?  Hourly?  By Event?  Staff, of which there are none
now?

What else should be considered in the mix?

Thank you for your help!

Alexandra Rollins

617-524-6007