From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:35:15 -0500
At 09:23 AM 11/18/98 -0800, you wrote:
>        So, what am I asking??  Any advice on the best way to go about
finding
>the perfect museum career for me?(research vs. administration)  And any
>knowledge of the programs at the universities mentioned above?  Any
>help would be so greatly appreciated.  Right now I feel like I have no
>specific goals, I am just floating.  I need to get back into what I
>enjoy and makes my brain work harder!!

I think for now, if you want to get an idea of what the museum world is
like before you plunk down thousands into a degree that will get you a job
on a salary that slightly less than your student loan debt (see current
discussion ;), look into development or grant writing jobs.  You've got the
background in financial aid and know where to get loans, grants and
fellowships for students.  Apply this to museums and you'll find that job
opportunities abound.  Museums are always looking for money and for people
to get them more money.

Then once you are in a museum and see what working for one is like
full-time (granted you won't be a curator but you'll be interacting with
them and other museum personel to help you write grants for their projects)
you can start looking at the different museum studies programs.  If you
decide to go back to school for a museum degree, you can freelance with
your grant-writing experience and help pay your way through school.
Afterwards, you can still freelance grant-writing to supplement your income.

Good luck!!

Deb

Staples &  Charles Ltd.
225 N Fairfax St.