From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:34:05 -0400
Maybe the pre-visit lesson (linked to below) could be given by the
teacher to the PARENTS, not the students!

Seriously, though, I firmly believe that kids are very resilient and
teachers can approach the material in an age- and culturally-appropriate
way that will avoid snickers and shock when actually faced with nudes in
art.  Maybe an effort could be made to find out what the parents' real
problem with nudes is:  is it because they are blindsided and don't know
how to talk to their kids about what they have seen?  Is it a religious
objection?  Is it a cultural taboo? Is it because seeing a nude will
lead to questions about sex before both parents and kids are ready to
deal with it? You're not going to change parents' minds, but maybe if
you help them anticipate what their kids might say and give them tools
on how to respond in a way that reinforces rather than negates the
school's purpose for the visit, you'd be one step further along.

Julia Muney Moore

Public Art Administrator

Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN

(317) 875-5500 x219