From:
Ashley Koen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 07:22:06 -0400
Melissa-

I have had this situation come across on my current project of moving a
20th century history collection. We remove the object from the box because
the cardboard is usually acidic and created an insert for it. Record and
photograph the printed information on the box as the box may not survive as
long as the computer. We try to store the box as it would appear on
exhibit. That means that you should keep it in box form with a sturdy
insert and do not collapse it. If the other packing materials are not
important for the story of the object, you should just get rid of them,
they will probably cause problems off-gassing and do not really tell the
story of the computer.

good luck
Ashley

Ashley Koen