From:
Janis Beth Wilkens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 12:07:57 -0500
I don't understand the question.  If candidates are suggested by the
general membership and elected by the board, how does this give the
director "totalitarian control"?  From the information you have given,
it sounds as if the director isn't even involved.

It may be a matter of governance.  In our museum, which is considered an
agency of county government, board members are proposed by a nominating
committee, nominated by the board, and then must be confirmed by county
council.  Sometimes the council will appoint someone on its own.  The
director, of course, is in a strong position to influence nominations by
the board.

--
Janis Beth Wilkens
Curator of Collections