From:
Cherokee Heritage Center <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:41:00 -0500
CURATING ORAL HISTORIES

SURVEY

Type of institution
      ___Academic
     ___Government
     __x_Historical ociety
     __x_Museum
     ___Religious

       ___For Profit
     ___Public library/ school
     __x_Non-Profit
     ___Other

Institutional information
Name of library/archive/project:   Cherokee National Archives

Parent Institution (if applicable): Cherokee National Historical Society

Contact person  Tom Mooney

     Title:  Archivist

     Phone: 918-456-6007 x22

     Email: [log in to unmask]

     Location (city): Tahlequah, Oklahoma 74465

Oral history collection
            Describe briefly your oral history collection:

Number of interviews:  Approximately 200

Time span and geographic scope:   1930 - 1985

Subjects collected:  Cherokee history, memories, folklore, historical footnotes

How do you acquire oral histories?

    ___x__ Donation            __x___ Produced in-house  __x_Purchased                  ____Other (explain)

Comments on acquisition of oral histories:  We could have used a more consistent effort in collecting histories and regrettably are still not very active in this area.

Preservation
In what formats do you archive oral histories?

____ Paper transcript

___x_ Analog audio: (specify) reel-to-reel, audiocassette, microcassette:

_____ Digital audio: (specify) DAT, CD, minidisc, datafile, other

This September we will begin digitalization, as I understand the project, all will be on CD

_____Visual: (specify) analog video, digital video, DVD, other

Does your archive have a schedule for format refreshment or transfer? Describe.  We will begin a 5 year cycle

Are any of your oral histories endangered due to media deterioration? Describe.

Most oral histories are on reel-to-reel and we expect their quality to be good, however they have not been played recently.  There are some others on cassette that were poorly made and may be in greater danger.  Others are c. 1963 on cheap 3" reels that involve Cherokee legends and are in extremely poor condition and may already be lost.

What are the biggest challenges dealing with multiple formats for oral histories?

Access
How do you catalog oral histories?

_____ Don't catalog

__x___ Finding aid  -- FileMaker Pro database

_____ Full MARC cataloging

_____ Brief MARC cataloging

_____ Catalog using metadata, e.g. EAD, TEI (specify):

Where do your catalog records live?

_____ OCLC or RLIN

_____ Other aggregated database or digital library (specify)

_____ Institution's online catalog

_____ Institution's website

_____ Catalog records not available online

___x__ Other (describe):  computer file only, we will produce finding aid this fall

Online Access
Are your oral histories online in any form? Describe.  No

If not, are you considering publishing your oral histories on the internet in any form? No, perhaps the finding aid may go on-line

If yes to either of these questions, may I contact you for more details?

Looking to the future (Please use reverse side for answers)
What are some of the greatest challenges for archiving oral histories today? Media deterioration

What are some of the greatest possibilities for preserving and providing access to oral histories in the 21st century?   I believe the Internet has opened a lot of new doors as we now have the technology to place archival records on-line, such as the LOC's American Memories site.

What is the greatest need for oral history archivists (e.g. training, staff, money, technology?)

Money is always nice, but getting the time to care for records, place them on-line, and migrate them to newer technologies is also a problem

Is communication between oral historians and archivists sufficient? What steps could be taken to enhance understanding?

Is the processing of oral histories sufficiently funded in your institution? No

What is the greatest challenge in your daily handling of oral histories? We really have not provided the care in the past they deserve.  Part of this is staff time being spread too thin and letting other projects continually be placed ahead of preservation efforts.

May I contact you for a followup survey?  Yes
Samples of your written documentation (donor forms, guidelines for cataloging, grant proposals) would be welcome

Return survey by email attachment or US post to :

            Nancy MacKay                                                      [log in to unmask]

                2115 Damuth Street

                Oakland, CA94602