From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:43:06 -0500
This is true, but consider this situation.

An artist has done a painting, which she wants turned into a set of
printed reproductions she can sell.  She takes it to a print shop, who
scans it, produces color separations as an intermediate printing step,
and prints 100 copies of it for her.  Even though the finished
reproductions are considered derivative works of the original, and the
artist has the right to make derivative works by copyright law, in the
absence of an agreement to the contrary the print shop owns the scans
and the color separations.  (there is a name for this that I forget
right now) The artist is not automatically entitled to them.  The print
shop cannot make a run of prints without the artist's permission, and
the artist cannot take the scan and separations to another print shop
without the print shop's permission (or by purchasing them from the
print shop).  Luckily most print shops will include the possession of
the intermediate materials in the cost of printing and will turn them
over, but if a print shop insists on keeping them, one should keep an
eye on the print shop because they may be doing a brisk business in
unauthorized reprints.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN