From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:53:10 -0500
It's several years since I dealt with ADA as a government affairs issue,
but my recollection is that the Act requires "public accommodations"
merely to make a reasonable effort, taking into account the availability
of services, cost, budget etc., etc.  It's not necessary to put an
elevator into a historic house if doing so would destroy the building's
historic character.  You don't have to have a docent proficient in sign
language available on demand, if doing so would be unreasonable for cost
reasons, or impossible because of scarcity of service.

On the other hand, you're also not allowed to just throw up your hands
and say you're too poor to do anything.  You have to make a reasonable
effort to make a reasonable accommodation.

There's a higher standard for government entities.

AAM has a grant from the Department of Justice to produce a video and
workbook on ADA issues for museums.  I believe the materials will be
available this spring. I'm sure there are other materials available
already through our bookstore catalog.

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs
disclaimers apply