From:
Bethany Rutledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:26:49 -0500
Thank you all so much for easing my mind. I wasn't sure which type of film
the vinegar scent indicated and am very happy to learn that although the
reel is deteriorating and acetic acid is still damaging to collections in
the same storage area, at least I'm not dealing with something extremely
hazardous. Another helpful tip was that cellulose nitrate film was rarely
produced in sizes less than 35 mm. This particular reel is approx. 10 mm
wide. I do hope to have it reformatted right away to see if there's anything
salvageable. The film probably contains footage of then endangered-now
extinct species shot in the late '20s or early '30s.

I'm so glad there's a resource like this for some quick advice from
colleagues. Sometimes I feel a little isolated out here on the Cape, so the
discussions online are most appreciated.

Thanks again,
Bethany Rutledge