From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:02:28 -0800
        Hasn't this question come up before?  Perhaps I am thinking of
another list.  Anyway, as I recall the general opinion at the end of a long
series of posts was that photographs of people, including children, made
from some distance away so that individual identity was blurred were ok.
It was also mentioned that persons in public places, especially in groups,
don't necessarily have the kinds of rights to the use of their images that
they would have in private places.  There's a famous case of the couple in
the movie "Woodstock" who were photographed making love in an open field.
They sued for invasion of privacy and compensation for the use of their
images.  They lost, because no one can have an expectation of privacy in a
public place.
        Laws and whatever aside, why not contact one or more local TV
stations about their policies?  When do they feel required to ask for
releases, and when do they feel that they do not have to do so?  It seems
to me that if they followed the rather draconian "rules" mentioned
previously, they'd each have to have fulltime staff just to handle to
problems of rights.

        Adrienne DeAngelis