From:
Elizabeth Bazan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2016 14:12:07 -0600
Julie,

We put up signs that say "Share your photo and you could be featured.
#IllinoisStateMuseum" and placed them anywhere we allow photos (the art
gallery is off limits depending on the exhibit). The signs are 3x14.5" and
bright yellow. The hashtag type is significantly larger than the share
sentence (about 1" tall). The staff member in charge of the social media
accounts would look for the hashtaged photos and repost them periodically
to our pages. We did see an uptick in photos using the hashtag; but there
wasn't a good way to keep track of who was taking photos before, so we
can't be certain of the correlation.

What I like about the use of a hashtag is that you aren't asking visitors
to look up your social media page and share their photo on it as they stand
in the exhibition (or even more unlikely, when they get home). They can
simply share the photo with their friends and family as they would
normally. The hashtag allows you to take the initiative to acknowledge the
photo by liking it or posting it to your page.

Hope that is helpful.

-Elizabeth