From:
Beth Tischler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:24:12 EST
Since we're on this subject and everyone seems so down about trying to find a job, i thought i might cheer you all up about our choice to go into the museum field.
I used to be an actress. Consider this -- Employment is based on height, age, weight, voice part, CONNECTIONS (most of the work i got i never even auditioned for), and personality. An audition -- a mostly futile waste of a day since the unions make them audition for parts they've already cast in their heads-- is a one-minute presentation of your skills. There is no interview. You get to ask NO questions. They can ask you ANYTHING. You cannot even ask how much you will get paid (once you are in the union you can make a more educated guess based on scales...) Hard work will only -- sometimes -- get you RE-hired by the same people. Once you get a job (about 15% of all union actors are employed at any given time -- i can't even imagine the percent of non-union) you can be the best actor that ever walked onto the stage, or the worst, and no matter what, the show you are in will close in a month or two and you will have to start all over again. job performance has NO bearing on length of employment.
Not to mention the maintenance you must pay for though you dont have a job -- like classes, gym membership, headshots, etc.
After 2 years of that (and i was lucky enough to be working almost constantly that 2 years), I am thrilled to face the challenges that have been presented by this profession!
Cheer up! Your work will be rewarded!
beth