From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:23:51 GMT
Once again the conversation has grown bigger than the question and has taken
a slight turn; just like if we were sitting around together with a cup of
coffee or over dinner.  Sorry to those of you who disagree, but that's one
of the things I like about the list.

About captions in published works, I agree with David they should include at
least the name of the Collection, which is usually the donors name.

Before I comment on crediting donors on exhibit labels, I have to agree with
Candace that what works for one museum may not for another. I was going to
write and agree with Chris, but decided to read on first to see if what I
had to say was covered by someone else.  It was in a way, but I have a
little more to add.  It's interesting that some of Lucy's arguments for not
crediting donors are reasons I'm now doing it.  (see Candace's remark above)

In our small local history museum I try to make a temporary display of newly
acquired artifacts or the occasional work of art, listing it as a 'Recent
Donation' with the name of the donor.  While I agree it's not possible nor
plausible to list the name of the donor on every object in an exhibit,
placing the name on prominent objects (or on a label at the end of the
exhibit) or stand alone objects is a nice idea.  It makes the donor feel
more a part of the Museum, after all it is the community's museum and the
locals are the history of the community.  It also attracts more artifacts
that help us tell the story more completely.  I've noticed this in my museum
in the 2 1/2 years I've been here.  As I learned just Friday, crediting
sponsors of exhibits brings more money for exhibits as well.

I also agree that the story of a specific artifact is a part of the history
of the community.  Lucy is right that the story may be too long for a label
and may be better placed on a flyer or in a catalog.

Crediting the donor is adding just a tiny line to the end of a label.  It
takes little room, but may make a big difference when trying to collect
important objects, and in the pride of their museum by our locals.  I know
there is a fine line between "kissing-up" (can I say that on this list?) and
showing appreciation.  I've learned in my career showing appreciation makes
a great deal of difference in good will toward the museum.  And I've never
heard a tourist complain.

Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
Curator of Collections