From:
"Nutter, Pat" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 12:56:22 -0400
U.S. Department of Agriculture regulates import of soil into the US, and they have some fairly strict rules.  (They are concerned about the introduction of soil organisms that may affect US agriculture.)  I don't think that calling it art will have any effect - if it is untreated dirt, it is untreated dirt.

Patricia Nutter
Associate Registrar, National Museum of Natural History