From:
Ware Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2013 21:32:02 +0000

I would never release an accessioned item to anyone for any purpose unless it has been cleared by our Board of Directors, covered by the borrowers insurance, and exhibited by another reputable museum. Period.

If you commence loaning accessioned objects or even other museum assets (equipment), be sure that you are prepared to lose it. Best policy is not to loan museum assets of any kind. It saves a lot of potential problems.

All of this goes back to the importance of ensuring that donation forms – deeds of gift – are reviewed by a lawyer and are clearly explained to the donor. Some donors are perfectly happy to give something to a museum so that it could raise money with it. Others expect their object to be preserved in perpetuity. In each case, the deed of gift form should explain that the museum owns it outright and that they have no claim to it after they sign the form. They must be sure that they no longer want it before it is given.

Donors or their relations do follow up on their objects. Be prepared for this with proper documentation – what is it – where is it? Copies or photographs of the object may be shared with the donor, but that is as far as I would be prepared to go.

I would be happy to discuss this subject further.

Sincerely,

Ware Petznick

Ware Petznick, PhD

Director of Education & Administration

Shaker Historical Society

16740 South Park Boulevard

Shaker Heights, Ohio 44120

216-921-1201

www.shakerhistory.org<http://www.shakerhistory.org/>

“You may not live longer, but you’ll live better”

NOW on EXHIBIT from the Tregoning Art Gallery “The Myers’ House Salute: Cleveland School Art 1910-1969” in the Jack and Linda Lissauer Gallery until September 1st, 2013 and CURRENTLY  in our main exhibition gallery until August 23rd, RE imagine + RE vitalize + RE invent: Transforming Shaker’s houses and buildings for modern living, working, playing. COMING UP! Yoga at the SHS July 13th at 1030am; Lego Club July 16th and 23rd, 3-5pm; Jim Karlovec’s lecture about Transforming Shaker’s Houses July 21st at 3pm. See our Facebook page and www.shakerhistory.org<http://www.shakerhistory.org> for details & updates.