From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:15:06 -0700
I'm going to take a stab at this one based only on
instincts.  I suggest, however, that you consult legal
counsel for your state.  Each state's laws are
different, and what one might say in California might
not be the course for Tennessee.

It would seem to me that unpaid volunteers would not
qualify for Workmen's Compensation and the root of
that contention is the word compensation.  Workmen's
Comp pays workers who are disabled through work some
portion of their salary.  There is no salary for
volunteers.  If they were to receive a salary from
Workmen's Comp, they would be unjustly enriched.

What I think you're looking for is some sort of
liability insurance to protect the institution in the
event of injury.  Counsel within your area and/or your
insurance agent may be places to turn.

--- Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Good Morning All,
> I have received this inquiry and I thought I would
> share this with you
> all, requesting your thoughts and comments......
> 1.)  Imagine that you have volunteers who are
> willing to work for free as
> tour guides......
> 2.)  and, your museum would like the volunteers to
> be covered under
> workers' compensation to provide the volunteers with
> that benefit in the
> event of an injury......and also to protect the your
> museum from tort
> liability....
> 3.)  Is this possible and if so, how?
> Thanks,
> Wesley
>
> Wesley S. Creel
> Administrator of Programs
> Pink Palace Family of Museums
> Memphis, TN 38111
> www.memphismuseums.org
> office: 901.320.6370

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may
> obtain detailed information about the listserv
> commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one
> line e-mail message to [log in to unmask]
> . The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Indigo Nights