From:
lorettalorance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:38:44 -0400
Let's see, this was a little while ago: Rudy Giuliani went to see Sensations
at the Brooklyn Museum. He saw a mixed media work, primarily a painting, by
Chris Ofoli of the Madonna or Virgin Mary. Ofoli used elephant dung as part
of the body of Mary. Elephant dung is sacred where Ofoli comes from.
Giuliani got upset and began a personal crusade against the Ofoli work of
art. As mayor of NYC, of which Brooklyn is a part, he threatened to pull
city funding away from the museum unless it removed the Ofoli from the
exhibition. He did not demand the closing of Sensations, only the removal of
the Ofoli. The media, especially the Post/Daily News papers which are
somewhat sensationalists, took up the cry. Others got into the story. Blah,
blah, blah.

After this Giuliani initiated some sort of city government watch-dog office
for art. I don't know if it's still in existence. It must not be or that
Fischl probably would have gotten into Rockefeller Center.

So, the problem was not the entire Sensations show, it was one work in the
show, the Ofoli which I think is now in some museum and his career has
blossomed. The entire thing was started by a Roman Catholic mayor, who
justifies cheating on his wife (at least 2 mistresses while mayor), who was
offended.

The mayor using the power of his office and the personal hypocrisy of his
religion felt it his place to demand the removal on the work of art that
offended him. Bloomberg has not, as far as I know, made any comment on the
Fischl. I haven't really seen anything on the Fischl in the NYC papers since
it was first mentioned, as "bad." I don't think the Times has even covered
it, I could have missed it though. The only debate about whether or not the
sculpture should stay that I've encountered is on this list. Other people in
NYC may be talking about it, but not the art historians I know.

Perhaps you consider the man-who-was-mayor-on-a-personal-crusade, Giuliani,
and the offended general public the same thing. But, these are not at all
the same stories.