From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:34:10 -0500
Ceramics vary so much that there are few hard rules. One thing I would NOT
suggest is wrapping them up in bubble wrap. Anytime you pick something up
and cannot see what you are grabbing you increase the risk of breaking it
accidentally, especially with dishes that have handles or other 3D bits and
pieces. It is far too easy to pull or push on it too hard. You wold also
have to open it up to identify it or look at it

If they are in boxes, you do not have to have them covered completely in
extra layers that cause more harm than good. For things like teacups or
bowls I prefer to nest them in tissue (made into a birds nest shape) so
that you can see them and it is still loose enough that you do not have to
grab by the rim. Clinking against each other, or being squeezed or pulled
too hard by someones fingers are the two main ways I have seen things get
broken.

The sheet ethafoam you can get cheaper from Uline or another shipping
supplier. It makes a great cushion between plates as long a there is no
risk of high temperatures. and at the bottom of a box to give vibration
mitigation.

Feel free to contact me off list with questions.

-Elizabeth Walton