From:
Lea Foster Warden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 14:52:20 -0700
The crating survey is scheduled to close on August 1, 2007. I encourage institutions and businesses who have not participated to please go to
  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=q87MXItb4e3ETq0vXWO2Rw%3d%3d

   Below is a list of figures as well as a table containing some of the comments gathered.

    98 participants:  86 museums, 10 crating, 2 exhibit development
  Figures for 2006
  •          2449 crates built  (27 participants)
  •          491 thrown away  (36 museums responded)
  •          $543,800 for new crates  (21 museums 901 crates)
  •          $77,460 to retrofit crates  (20 museums responded)
  •          $13,400 to dispose of crates  (28 museums)

              What are your thoughts about crating and packaging practices in the U.S. museum field?

            1.
    We should look into plastic crates.
      2.
    more recycling is needed, but really, fewer loans are needed for anything to be positive for the environment
      3.
    Security is the top concern, with damage control being a close second. Logistics is a major problem and only a major trucking company with expertise in museum items should be used for security and proper handling. Most damage to contents is caused by vibration.Location handling and storage is a major concern, probably the least controllable unless your onsight personnel are available. There must be closer cooperation between those in the museum field and those in the industrial areas.
      4.
    I have met quite a few crate builders and all seem aware of this problem, But we all try as hard as possible to recycle. But how much labor, gas and other resources can we use to feel green?
      5.
    Much improved over the years but every now and then you come across some really bad crating and packing.
      6.
    I feel that the packing and crating industry is very wasteful. We try to recycle or give away what we can but would really like to see us all improve.
      7.
    Wasteful as with other forms of packaging in the US.
      8.
    We are wasteful of natural materials most of the time. Despite attempts to retrofit crates, the size never seems to be correct for the painting we are packing. Crating has become such a science that it seems the industry (both museum and craters) want new crates for each loan.
      9.
    Somewhat wasteful. A compiled list of local recycling facilities would be most helpful.
      10.
    Quality and knowledge seem high, but we do not have a local fine arts crating firm to rely on and costs are quite high.

          Several fine art handling companies in Europe have designed reusable crates; primarily for two dimensional objects. These companies have well established crate leasing programs. Do you think a leasing system could be established in the United States? Please explain your answer.
          1.
    That would be nice.
      2.
    it's possible, but I would have to see one that could be optimal on a high value overseas shipment
      3.
    Yes, as a leasing plan or something akin to it is now being used, ie. a returnable charge invoiced to the user by the mfg./originator of the crate insuring the crates return. The charge is wiped out when the crate is returned. This charge in a traveling exposition can be paid back to the original seller and passed along to the next museum, and so on. There are several other methods available to recoup the expense of crates/ containers. Each situation may require different accounting to cover the cost of museum crating.
      4.
    I do not feel a leasing program is good for our institution. This survey almost feels like a sales call for this exact program? We at our institution save as many cases as possible. Retrofitting for objects is very easy.
      5.
    Probably not because of the expense and materials used and custom fit not on site is problematic.
      6.
    If the interior of the crate could be easily adjusted to fit different size pieces. The main reason we don't reuse crates more is because ever thing is so custom and it often costs more to retrofit a used crate for a different piece than to just make a new one. Also, shipping can really bang a crate up quite a bit causing them to be unsuitable for more shipments.
      7.

      8.
    Yes, provided that a series of workshops for brainstorming are arranged for packers and registrars to meet. It is only in this manner can some standardize types of "reusable crates" be designed to work for the various institutions and the collections they crated for exhibition.
      9.
    Yes, provided the crates are available in a wide variety of sizes, easily ordered, delivered and if necessary, available for long-term leasing. Also the crates should be thoroughly cleaned, stored in a clean environment and inspected for pests prior to delivery.
      10.
    I think it worth considering. If crates were easily available, I would consider leasing one rather than buy another one and store it - especially if an odd size. In particular for crates which must meet new international crating standards for pest prevention.

   [input]

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.